Libraries at St. Joseph's Healthcare
The Library is the leading provider of information and indispensable partner to the physicians, hospital staff and learners in their pursuit of excellence in education, clinical care, research, and community service.
As a member of the Hamilton and District Health Library Network, the Library participates in resource sharing among the libraries of McMaster University, as well as teaching and community hospitals in the area.
St. Joseph's Healthcare Library Services includes the following 2 site libraries:
Sherman Library - Charlton Campus Juravinski Innovation Tower, 2nd Floor, Room T2305
Jean Maragno, Director, Library Services
Desiree Bain & Danielle Lardie
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:00 am-6:00 pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 8:00 am-8:00 pm
Closed on weekends and Statutory Holidays
Pope Francis Library Resource Centre - West 5th Campus Level 2 Atrium
Jean Maragno & Lois Cottrell
Access to Library is available to staff with hospital ID.
Monday to Friday8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Adopt a Book or Journal Program
Support the library by adopting a book for yourself or in memory of someone. When you purchase a new book to donate to the library you will receive a tax receipt and a label will be placed in the book with your name or with the name of the person you are honouring
Adopt a journal by making a cash donation for the current institutional value of a journal title. Tax receipts will be issued for the full value of the donation.
Contact the Library at 905.522.1155 Ext. 33410 for requirements for participation in the Adopt-a-Journal/Book program. Your donation will help provide the resources necessary to support the education, research, and clinical needs of St. Joseph's Healthcare.
St. Joseph's staff and learners can access licensed databases through MyStJoes.ca. For remote access contact Library Services
Library staff are available for:
- Assistance in researching a project
- Instruction on using online resources
- Help with style and format of bibliographies
- Assistance in finding mail or e-mail addresses, telephone or fax numbers of health professionals, organizations, hospitals and universities
- Verification of references and much more
- Hamilton & District Health Library Network Turn around time is usually within 2 days. McMaster charges $3. per article or book chapter. There are no charges from other local libraries.
- Interlibrary Loans (Outside of Hamilton) Turn around time is usually from 1 to 10 days. The cost ranges from $3 to $18 per article. There is no charge for borrowing books.
- Urgent Document Delivery: Our Same Day Service
- National: Articles faxed for $30 each from National Libraries.
Library photocopy machines can be used with:
- Departmental I.D. numbers obtained from your own department
- Coin box for any denomination at 10 cents per page
- Copy cards purchased in our library for 10 cents per page in these amounts: 50 copies for $5, 100 copies for $10 and 200 copies for $20
Fee for Service
The following services can be obtained for a fee for patrons not affiliated with St. Joseph's Healthcare.
- Document delivery
- Literature Searches on electronic databases or the internet
- Sending Faxes
Please contact Library staff for prices.
Computer Searching Services
Library staff will perform automated database searches upon request or patrons are welcome to do their own searching on one of the many end-user terminals in the library.
Literature searching techniques and training are also available upon request. Call for an appointment. Extensive searches can be downloaded onto a USB or sent via e-mail.
Staff will provide an orientation tour of the Library to individuals or groups upon request.