Sleep Assessment Program
What this program does...
The Firestone Institute of Respiratory Care Out-Patient Sleep Assessment Program offers diagnostic and treatment services for out-patients with sleep related medical problems. These include night time snoring, gasps, breathing difficulties, limb movements, unusual behaviors, inability to fall asleep or stay asleep. Daytime complaints include unrefreshing sleep, daytime fatigue, excessive sleepiness, morning headache and may affect mood and daytime functioning. The program is available to both adults and children.
The Out-Patient Sleep Assessment Program consists of a Sleep Clinic and Sleep Lab facilities.
The Sleep Clinic operates within the Firestone Institute Of Respiratory Health located on the first floor of the Juravinski Innovation Tower. The clinic is staffed by four medical specialists with expertise in a wide spectrum of sleep disorders. During the clinic visit the sleep physician will thoroughly review each client’s sleep patterns, and sleep difficulties.
The Sleep Lab, an overnight facility is located on the fourth floor of the Juravinski Innovation Tower. This is a fully computerized nine bed lab staffed by experienced and caring registered polysonmographic technologists. During the lab visit electrodes and sensors are applied to the surface of the skin or by bands worn on the body to help gain more detailed information about sleep patterns, sleep quality, breathing patterns and movements. The monitoring devices are comfortable enough to sleep and allow position changes during the night. The sleep technologist is available to provide courteous and respectful assistance at any time during the assessment.
Physician referral is required.
How this program helps...
The goal of this program is to assess, diagnose and determine the best treatment option for a particular sleep complaint and improve the patient’s quality of sleep and ultimately quality of life.
Most sleep disorders are associated with day time symptoms. Symptoms such as fatigue, excessive sleepiness, morning headache, mood changes can lead to reduced work/school productivity, increased accidents and general loss of quality of life. In addition, some sleep disorders can impact the quality of life of spouses and/ or other family members living within the same household. Over the long term disorders such as sleep breathing and sleep apnea may increase the risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes and obesity.
Your Care Team
Dr. A. C. P. Powles, MB, ChB, FRACP, FRCP(C), ABSM
Dr. David Higgins, B.Sc., MB, MRCP(I), FRCP(C), ABSM
Dr. Y. Juliana Li, B.Sc., MD, FRCP(C)
Mary Basalygo, B.Sc., RPSGT
Firestone Institute For Respiratory Health
Out-Patient Sleep Program
St. Joseph’s Healthcare
50 Charlton Avenue East
Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6
Main hospital number: 905-522-1155
Booking/ General Inquiries: ext 34979 Fax: 905-521-6184
Dr. A. C. P. Powles: Ext 34299
Dr. David Higgins: Ext 33960
Dr. Y. Julianna Li : Ext 33714
Physician referral is required.
Instructions for Physicians:
- Please fill in the requisition in as comprehensively as possible to assist us in defining your patient’s needs. Incomplete requisitions will be returned and may result in delays in the booking process. It is very helpful if you include your chart summary sheet, which will save you the need to write medical details/medications on the form.
- Please ensure that your address, fax and /or phone number is on the form (stamp or label) so we can contact you with results. If the referral is coming from a specialist please include the name of the family physician. Requisitions identified as urgent will be reviewed as soon as possible. Non urgent requests for physician consultation in Clinic and/or Lab assessment will be reviewed biweekly and an appointment date(s) will be faxed to you.
- If an over-night assessment is performed your patient’s study will be reviewed within two working days and if there is evidence of clinically significant disturbances the study will be formally reported as a priority and consultation, if needed, will be facilitated.
- The timeline for a non-urgent full report is approximately 4 weeks.
- If you have concerns about a specific patient or report please contact the main office number at (905) 522-1155 ext 34979 for assistance. Alternatively you may fax a message to the same office at (905) 521-6184.
Preparing for Your Visit
A comprehensive package is mailed to the patient at the time of booking. The general instructions for a clinic visit and lab visit can be printed in a downloadable format from here:
Clinic Visit Itinerary
Lab Visit Itinerary
Patients should follow their normal routine and medications unless otherwise instructed by their physician.
We ask that you do not bring any valuables with you as the hospital cannot be responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
For Sleep Lab Assessments:
Occasionally, an overnight assessment may be followed by a day time nap assessment. In that situation, the patient will be informed of additional instructions. Please click here for day nap instructions.
In addition, it may be necessary to book a daytime wakefulness assessment without a prior overnight visit. Please click her for day wakefulness instructions.
A patient may need to complete a sleep diary prior to clinic/ lab visit.
Further information on sleep disorders can be accessed through the following links:
Canadian Sleep Society www.canadiansleepsociety.ca
The Canadian Lung Association - www.lung.ca
Maps and Directions
Please see the following for maps and directions to Clinics and Labs.
Clinic Visit: Patients arriving to see a sleep physician in the Firestone Institute of Respiratory Health on the first floor of the Juravinski Tower will be required to take a number at the entrance to the clinic. Once the number is called registration staff will update your personal information and validate your health card.
Lab Visit: Patients arriving for an overnight sleep assessment on the fourth floor of the Juravinski Tower must bring a valid health card.
After Your Visit
Patients who have been referred for CPAP therapy can review a list of home care companies who distribute CPAP devices.