Patient Safety Indicators
St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton focuses on the continued enhancement of quality and safety for all patients. As part of our patient safety and quality program we continuously track and monitor the quality of care we provide using a number of evidence-based patient safety indicators. These indicators are all standardized provincially and/or nationally as defined by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, the Canadian Institute for Health Information and Accreditation Canada.
Public reporting of our performance enhances patient safety, encourages continuous improvement and builds trust among the community and patients we serve. Below are several of the patient safety indicators that SJHH currently tracks to ensure the safety and well-being of our patients:
- C Difficile Infection Rates
- Central Line Associated Blood Stream Infection
- Emergency Room Treatment Times
- Hand Hygiene Compliance
- Hospital Standard Mortality Ratio (HSMR)
- MRSA and VRE Infection Rates
- Patient Satisfaction
- Readmission Rate
- Surgical Checklist Compliance
- Surgical Site Infection Prevention
- Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
- Wait Times
Detailed Patient Safety Indicator Reporting is also available through the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website at www.ontario.ca/patientsafety.