Kidney and Urinary ProgramClick here to proceed to the website of McMaster Institute of Urology.
The Kidney and Urinary program at St. Joseph's Healthcare is the regional referral and renal transplantation centre in south central Ontario for patients with end stage renal disease. The program also houses the urology service that cares for patients with disease or dysfunction of the urinary system.
The program is one of the largest regional programs in the province supporting more than 2000 patients and providing a spectrum of care from tertiary acute to chronic management of kidney disease. The Kidney Urinary Program achieves a high rating from internal medicine residents.
- A 28 bed inpatient Nephrology unit including a palliative care suite
- The Nephrology inpatient unit is supported by a Nurse Practitioner who specializes in wound care and ALC patients
- A 7 bed inpatient Urology unit
- Provides on-going orientation and continuing education program
- Supports on average 95 renal transplantations per year including cadaver, live-related and live-unrelated
- Nephrology, Transplant, Vascular Access and pre-dialysis Kidney Function Program clinics
- Transplant coordination and waiting list management
- Nephrology Primary Care Nurses who serve as case managers
- Hemodialysis for over 400 acute, limited and self-managed patients at both the Charlton and King Campuses as well as at the Six Nations Satellite Dialysis Unit in Ohsweken
- Peritoneal dialysis and home dialysis training